How To Run Steam Games On A RAM Drive or RAM Disk - Best Free DimmDrive Alternative
So you want to have nearly instant load times for your steam games? You need to run a RAMdrive. You don't need to pay money for DimmDrive. You can simply follow the instructions below for free.
The following instructions will get you there.
- Have a 64bit version of Windows.
- Have a lot of System Memory(RAM).
- Download ImDisk, install it.
- Run Imdisk.
- Click "Mount New"
The size of disk you need may vary, I've chosen 16GB here.
A pop-up will inform you that you need to format the new disk before you can use it.
Press "Ok." and then "Start":
- Download and install SteamTool Library Manager.
- Make sure Steam is closed.
Create a backup of whatever game you wish to put on your RAMdrive.
- In this case I've chosen Planetside 2.
- You're creating a backup because if your power goes out, you will lose the entire game and have to re-download from Steam.
- Run the SteamTool Library Manager.
On the right side, select "browse" and then select your newly formatted
RAMdrive. Mine is Disk F:
- Select the game you want to move. Planetside 2, in this case.
- Click "Move to Storage."
- Hit Start.
- Launch the game and enjoy your half-second load times.
- If you need to shut down your computer, be sure to move the game back to steam.